Thursday, January 24, 2008

First Day Interning




Yesterday was my first day as an intern at Mad Chance on the Warner Brother's Lot. I got to meet the Producer I work for, Andrew Lazar. Mad Chance is a really small production company located in Building 81 Room 212 at Warner Brother's Studio. Their office is basically two adjoining rooms. One room leads into a hallway and has Alana, she kind of acts as the "receptionist", and Mary, Andrew's personal assistant, desks and a sofa. The other room holds Andrew's desk, and the interns' desk.



So, at the intern desk they have a laptop, phone, and a bunch of post-its with important phone numbers like Talent Agencies and such. The first thing I was asked to do was to get an envelope big enough for a Life magazine and script. Normally, this would mean a run to an Office Depot but Warner Brothers has its own everything. Its own Starbucks, office supply store, catering, Jumba Juice and its own Fire Department. There is no need to go off the Studio Lot.

So, Warner Brothers is huge and there are soooo many buildings. Each time I have to go somewhere on the Lot Alana has to draw, uses a different color marker each time, my route on the Studio map to my destination. I had to walk to this place they call "The Mill".

Basically "The Mill" is where they build all the sets for the movies and tv shows. But "The Mill" has a store in which it sells office supplies. You name it these guys got it. Probably have more inventory that Office Depot. So, in "The Mill Store" I had to walk in high heels up these metal stairs, since they keep the bulk envelopes up there. You pay for everything with a GL #, basically everyone on the Lot has an account that gets charged.

Once I got back they wanted me to get them coffee from Warner Brother's personal Starbucks.

Next, I got to bind a 150 page script called "The Flemming" and package that and the Life Magazine up into the envelope. Then you have to call this Messenger Service and say you got a package that is going to be ready at 11:30am. This was funny to me... it seemed just like the mafia. Now, this was my by far longest walk/errand.

Alana drew me another route to take on the map. But this route had a bunch of cool scenery because I had to walk right through the BackLot which is New York Street, a set of New York buildings. It looked like its own city, like you were teleported to NYC all of a sudden. So, I walked down New York Street with my package in hand.



It was kinda freaky... it looked like a ghost town... everything was vacant, no people anywhere. I was alone for the most park walking down this huge street in "New York City".







All of a sudden, I see this long golf cart like vehicle pull out far ahead of me. It was the Warner Brother Studios VIP Tour Guide. He was talking about the different buildings. They stopped infront of this one and said that this was where they filmed "Batman" and "I Am Legend" in front of this courthouse-like building.




Continuing along my journey to the mail delivery place, I had to also walk down "Western Street". This was pretty cool as well.




In order to deliver the package I have to cross security at Gate 7, cross the street to this small building. I go inside and the guy was like bring it to the lady in the black car. So, I walk up to this black car with tinted windows and knock on the window. The lady rolls down the window and I hand her the package. Its soooo mafia-like, I was laughing in my head. I walked back through Gate 7 security check point and head back to my building.

It was a long walk. I arrived outside my building and about to go in when I saw a parking spot with the name George Clonney (it said G. Clooney). I snapped a picture with my camera phone but it didn't turn out good so next Wednesday I'm going to retake the picture but here it is anyways.



Once I got back inside, Andrew and Mary were in a meeting in his office with the director of his next movie, Akira. Alana let me use Mary's computer to research and learn more about Akira. After the meeting was done, I went to lunch.

I came back from lunch and Andrew wanted me to take his car to get it serviced at Glendale Toyota. So, Alana drew me another route on how to get to the Executives' Parking Lot and Andrew's vehicle. She also gave me the First Draft of "Cats & Dogs 2", the sequel that they will be making.



I found his car which was a silver 2008 FJ Cruiser. It took me a couple rounds to get out of the parking lot but finally I did. Gate 4 Security didn't even check my pass or anything on the way out like they do at Gate 2. So, my cell phone GPS told me how to get there. I finally got to the Toyota place and got settled.

It was going to take 3 hours, so I started reading the "Cats & Dogs 2" script.



I finished the 94 page script just in time too. I drove the car back fighting rush hour traffic on I-5. I left at 5:20pm and arrived back at the Studio at 6:30pm. The Toyota place was usually 10 minutes away.

It was pouring rain but I finally made it home, feet killing me from the high heels. It was a good day overall... very long but I enjoyed myself. I work every Wednesday there.

No comments: